MDE21567 - Cussacombe or Cuzzicombe Post, Cussacombe Common (Monument)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Cussacombe Post' is marked on the 1st and 2nd Editions and 1962 Ordnance Survey maps. [1-3] Cussacombe Post, a guide post, is on the ridgeway. It is a square, wooden post, 22 centimetres width and approximately 3 to 3.5 metres high.  The Cuzzicombe Post was set up in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. In 1977, it was replaced for the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.  The plaque is difficult to read, and is unlikely to be visible for much longer. It reads 'To commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 1977 and replacing a similar post erected in 1897 at the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria'.  The plaque was replaced in 2012 by Exmoor National Park Authority to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 16SW.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A35, 8 June 1992.
- <5> SEM7615 Article in serial: Westcott, R.. 2008. Cuzzicombe Post - Marking the Way to the Moor. Exmoor Review. 49. P.45, 56-57, Photographs.
- <6> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. F Glover, 17 June 2011.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Photograph.
|Grid reference||SS 8040 3041 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54035
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/39
Record last edited
Feb 5 2019 2:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.