MDE21566 - Medieval or post-medieval field system at Cussacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site was visited in June 1992. The extant banks and ditches of Cussacombe field system were noted to run for the length of the valley. SS 8000 3100 / SS 7900 3050. Field system at Cussacombe.  The field system can be seen on the Tithe Map for Molland parish, with the farmstead in the centre (MDE14804). The northernmost field (SS 7973 3108) was known as "Natts" and the rest was part of the "Luckisses" estate, all owned by Sir Robert George Throckmorton and occupied by James Quartly.  The field system largely appears to have been intact on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The farmstead was at that time named Luckesses.  Most of the field boundaries still appeared to be extant in 2018. 
- <1> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. Site visit 8 June 1992, A33.
- <2> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 26-44.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7976 3085 (509m by 704m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53996
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 54034
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/571
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/38
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21540
Record last edited
Feb 17 2022 10:23AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.