MDE14804 - Luckesses deserted farmstead, Molland (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Luckesses. Deserted farm site with building remains. Good on 1977 aerial photograph. [1,2] Deserted farmstead. Walls of barn and farmhouse still extant.  The remains of Luckesses deserted farmstead visible as a series of ruined buildings and earthworks. There are three buildings, the eastern one being the best preserved and measuing 11.4 metres and 6 metres wide with a large opening on the south wall of some 5.1 metres wide suggesting that it was a barn. The other buildings are smaller and survive as building foundations. The earliest record for the complex is in 1740 and it was in use until at least 1903. An associated field system lies around it (MDE21566). [4-7] Aerial photographs dating to 1946-8 show that the buildings appear to have been roofed and in use, although those available to the HER have an overlapping join in this location.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/12/043 (May 1977).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS 7930A.
- <3> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. 8 June 1992, A34, pp 159-160.
- <4> SEM7661 Map: 1841. Molland Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1887, Devon sheet 15(12). [Mapped feature: #31195 ]
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Devon sheet 15(12).
- <7> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 5 January 1995.
- <8> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097026, Extant 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7972 3074 (69m by 44m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097026 (Pastscape entry: 1097026)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17876
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/539
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20490
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE21
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097026
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 1:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.