MDE21512 - Hut circle or burial cairn southeast of Castle Rock, Valley of Rocks (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
One of three circular features shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, annotated 'Hut Circles'. This feature is drawn with a 6 metre diameter.  This is a turf and bracken covered mound of stones about 5 metres in diameter and with a maximum height of 0.5 metres. It is defined by stones set on edge mainly around the northwest. It appears as a small burial cairn or field clearance heap, but it might have originally been a hut which has since been infilled with stone.  A compact mound of stones c.6.5 metres in diameter and c.0.4 metres in height. It has a carefully structured appearance, with set boulders defining the edge, which indicates a burial cairn rather than a clearance cairn. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS74NW8.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 November 1993.
- <4> SEM6888 Report: Jamieson, E.. 1999. The Valley of Rocks, Lynton & Lynmouth, North Devon. P.4-6 (E).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7051 4966 (8m by 7m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 53768
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/28/3
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.