MDE21464 - Post-medieval leat at Brittania Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
There were several leats at The Brittania Mine site. There is reference to repair of the leats constructed by the previous company in 1852. In 1853 a further leat was cut for a new water wheel. Two parallel channels run along the hillside in the northern section of Mines Wood. They end abruptly above the mine. Their northern course under the road is obstructed by construction of a quarry. Beyond the lane to the north their course is also obscured, but presumably ran across fields to join the stream above Tinker's Ford. They were both about four feet wide and considerably infilled. N.B. This record is for the western of the two northern leats mentioned and mapped by Dixon; the other is recorded as MDE21438. The HER Monument record mapping is very approximately based on Dixon's site plan, which plots the feature running southeast from c.SS 7443 3373 to c.SS 7452 3358, sketched onto (but not itself depicted on) the 25 inch 1889 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-3]
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 256, 259.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 16 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7447 3365 (91m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: Britannia Mine / Prince Regent Mine, Higher Mines Wood (Monument) (MDE20893)
- Related to: Post-medieval leat at Britannia Mine (Monument) (MDE21438)
- Related to: Post-medieval leat at Britannia Mine (Monument) (MDE21439)
- Related to: Post-medieval water wheel at Britannia Mine (Monument) (MDE21442)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 47107
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/43/8
Record last edited
Apr 16 2019 1:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.