MDE21454 - 19th Century magazine at New Florence Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Remains of a small isolated building c. 60 yards east of building MDE21453 are probably those of the Victorian powder house. It was built of local stone and measured 8 feet by 12 feet internally, with a 3 foot doorway.  The site was visited in December 1994 and was noted to be as recorded by .  The remains of a building that forms part of the New Florence Iron Mine. It has been tentatively identified as a magazine. It lies 55 metres metres to the northeast of MDE21453 and is visible as a nearly square building with walls of up to 1.5 metres high. It has an entrance on the southwestern side. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The building is depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building is shown as an outline on the 2021 MasterMap data, suggesting it existed as a ruin at this time. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. p271.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, FM Griffith and Bowman, 2 December 1994.
- <3> SEM7691 Report: Instone, E.. 1995. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Iron Mining Industry. Volume 2.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 February 1993.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097018, Extant 5 October 2021.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47574 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7531 3209 (10m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46909
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/504/13
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE14800
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE17
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097018
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 12:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.