MDE21453 - 19th Century offices at New Florence Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A building measuring 18 feet by 72 feet. Now very ruined and overgrown. Walls survive only where they were set alongside the surrounding slope. Three internal divisions discernible. At least one of these was probably a stable.  The building was still visible in 1994.  The remains of a building that forms part of the New Florence Iron Mine and tentatively identified as the 1871 offices/stabling building. The offices consist of a very ruinous rectangular building measuring 20.5 metres by 4.5 metres with walls averaging 0.5 metres. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The building is depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. p271.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Site visit, FM Griffith and Bowman, 2 December 1994.
- <3> SEM7691 Report: Instone, E.. 1995. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Iron Mining Industry.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 February 1993.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097018, Extant 5 October 2021.
- <6>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #47573 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7527 3206 (30m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46908
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/504/12
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 12:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.