MDE21440 - Post-medieval drainage leat at Britannia Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A large drainage leat runs southwest for around 100 yards before joining a stream. Constructed early in 1853, it was described as a "lobby" feet deep, 47 and a half fathoms (285 feet) long, and four and seven feet wide at the bottom and top respectively. Its depth has since reduced by erosion or infill but substantially survives. It runs parallel to the river for some distance before joining it, suggesting the exclusion of flood water was a factor in its design. The leat was fed by a stream issuing from the larger wheel pit, also constructed in 1853 (MDE21441).  The feature is not depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The 25 inch 2nd Edition map depicts a watercourse eminating from the southern end of the wheel pit (MDE21441) at c. SS 7456 3354, before heading southwest along the edge of the boundary of Higher Mines Wood. It crosses the boundary at c. SS 7453 3347 before entering the stream at SS 7452 3346.  The route of the water course is shown on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 256, 259-261.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46000 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7454 3350 (40m by 81m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46895
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/43/10
Record last edited
Apr 16 2019 1:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.