MDE21431 - Post-medieval bridge southeast of Crowbarn Iron Mine (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Site of bridge which carried Crowbarn Tramway across the river. Abutments of local stone. From their relationship to the top of the embankment it may be deduced that the former bridge was probably of wood.  The route of the tramway can be seen on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The bridge is positioned at SS 7400 3165.  An apparently smaller footbridge is shown in this position on the Ordnance Survey 2018 MasterMap data. It is not clear if this structure reuses existing fabric from the original bridge. [3,4]
- <1> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 291.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 8 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7400 3165 (8m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46886
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/11/2
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 1:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.