MDE11482 - Crowbarn Iron Mine Tramway (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Crowbarn Tramway, constructed in 1873. Intended to link with Florence Tramway, but never completed. Begins abruptly to the southeast of the most southerly workings. Crosses a marshy field on an embankment, crosses the river and continues on a further embankment. The bridge by which it crossed the river has disappeared, but abutments remain (MDE21431). The 1888 25 inch Ordnance Survey map shows the tramway, complete with rails until Radworthy Cleave Stream, where it stops abruptly. The lack of bridge at this point, and absence of rails to the junction may mark the point where the intended junction was not made. [1-4] The rails had been removed from the railway line by the time the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [4,5] The Crowbarn Mine Tramway was constructed to connect the Crowbarn Iron Mine with the New Florence Mine Tramway which ran to South Molton and its railway. The tramway ran for a little over 1 kilometre from SS 7391 3178, a loading bay at Crowbarn, to SS 7462 3107 where it joined the New Florence Mine Tramway. It is traceable for nearly all of its length as either an embankment (up to 0.9 metres high) or a level terrace cut into the valley side. In places small ballast quarries are visible adjacent to the track bed. At SS 7401 3165 it crossed the River Mole and traces of the bridge abutments survive in the form of roughly coursed walling confining the course of the river. Tram rails are visible on the river bed. [2,6] The route of the tramway has been mapped from the 1st Edition map where it falls within the National Park boundary. [1,7]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888.
- <2> SEM7082 Monograph: Dixon, D.. 1983. Mining and the Community in the Parishes of North Molton, South Molton, Molland and Twitchen, Devonshire. 200, 296.
- <3> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset. 117.
- <4> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, 15NW.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 April 1993.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 8 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7432 3138 (641m by 568m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917521 (Pastscape entry: 917521)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46885
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/11/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21430
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW21
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917521
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 1:58PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.