MDE21377 - Yen Cottage (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
House. Probably early 18th Century, remodelled in the mid to late 19th Century. Rendered, probably over stone rubble. Gable-ended scantle-slate roof. Brick stacks. Plan and development: Three-room plan, with axial stack between 2 principal rooms to left. Left-hand end room with integral end stack (possibly a later addition) and entrance to front. Unheated right-hand end room, divided longitudinally, possibly a later addition. The house was incorporated in a formal composition with the neighbouring Heasley House Hotel (q.v.) in the early 19th Century, also including Heasley Cottage (q.v.). Two storeys. Exterior: Asymmetrically-fenestrated front, with 3 windows to first floor and 4 to ground floor; mid to late 19th Century two-light wooden casements. Doorway between first and second windows from left, with 20th Century half-glazed door and 20th Century rendered gabled porch with glazed door. Interior: Ground-floor rooms flanking axial stack have roughly-hewn cross beams (possibly formerly cased). Window seat in left-hand room. Old boarded doors throughout.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is shown on the Tithe Map for North Molton, centred at SS 7371 3220 and labelled 1673. It may have extended further to the west at this point in time by c.5 metres, but this is not clear. At that time, it was subdivided into three sections.  The building is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map in its current plan form but with only two subdivisions. This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. [4,5]
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: North Molton (24 November 1988) 127.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7371 3220 (12m by 6m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/10/156
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41794
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/83
Record last edited
Apr 3 2017 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.