MDE21345 - South Cheriton Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
South Cheriton Farmhouse. Farmhouse. Early to mid c17 with mid and late c19 additions and late c20 alterations. Rendered coursed rubble stone with additions in uncoursed rubble. Gable-ended slate roof with bitumen covering. Plan and development: probable 2-room plan aligned approximately east-west and facing north, with slate-hung axial stacks to left of each room. C19 wing at right angles to rear of left-hand end. Alternatively possibly a former 3-room and cross-passage plan consisting of hall with axial stack backing on to former cross (or through) passage (with inserted staircase), now demolished inner room to right (west) and service end to left (east) with later porch to front (north). 2 storeys. Exterior: main front to north. Asymmetrical 5-window front; c19 2-light wooden casements with 3-light wooden casements to left-hand addition. Central c20 flat-roofed semi-dormer with 2-light wooden casement and pairs of flanking pigeon nesting holes below eaves; 2 flat-roofed semi dormers to c19 addition at left too. Central late c20 five-panelled door under segmental head with incised rendered voussoirs, and partly-rendered gabled stone porch with pointed-arched entrance. Probably c19 1-storey wing projecting at right angles to right of porch, formerly linking with farmbuildings but converted to domestic use in late c20. Rear: possible former cross-passage entrance with c20 glazed door. Late c19 or c20 wing projecting at right angles to right, with external lateral stone stack. Interior: right-hand ground floor room has 3 c17 chamfered cross beams with scroll stops and open fireplace. Central ground-floor room altered in late c20, with c20 joists, rebuilt open fireplace and walls stripped of plaster. Probably c17 roof trusses but roof space not inspected. C20 alterations have reduced some of the evidence for the development of the plan of this house.  The Tithe Map shows the farmhouse formerly occupied the western end of the building (shown in pink), with the eastern end shown (described as the 19th wing in the listing description) as a mostly square building in grey, suggesting it was not in domestic use at this time.  The farmhouse was visited in January 1997. It was described as divided and painted pink, and was thought to have been an ancient and important medieval building. It had recently been the subject of extensions and alterations.  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Brendon (28 November 1988) 2.
- <2> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 120.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7375 4662 (26m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/3/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41703
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/204
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 3:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.