MDE21344 - Town Cottages and The Annexe, Countisbury (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A former farmhouse now divided. The property dates to the early to mid 17th century but possibly incorporates an earlier core. It has additions dating to the 18th and 19th centuries and was remodelled in the mid 19th century. The building is rendered coursed stone rubble and has been painted where the rubble has been removed. It has a gable-ended slate roof. The building was orginally 3 room and cross passage in plan. It may be the remodelling of a medieval open hall but no evidence of this could be noted at the time of survey (July 1987). The property is two storeys.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  These structures appear to be visible on the c. 1841 Countisbury Tithe map. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Countisbury (28 November 1988) 27.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7461 4961 (30m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA108041 (National Trust HER entry: MNA108041)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/3/32/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/3/32/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/3/32/3
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 41702
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/203
- National Trust HER Record: MNA108041
Record last edited
Feb 23 2021 4:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.