MDE21306 - The Towers, Glenthorne (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The towers. Gateway. Circa 1832. Uncoursed stone rubble. Pair of hexagonal turrets with depressed archway between. In a free gothic revival style. Each turret with plinth, corbelled eaves consisting of gothic arches springing from projecting round stones, chamfered cornice and domed stone cap with carved stone bird finial. Each turret has tall blind lancet on outer front face, with cill and hoodmould with projecting stones as stops; right-hand pier with open lancet to rear too. Stone-arched doorways on inner face, the left-hand one blind. Depressed archway between turrets with stone voussoirs and brick hoodmould with projecting stones as stops; coped parapet above, raised to centre with carved lion. The gateway stands alongside the long steep drive to glenthorne and marks the beginning of a cliff-top pathway to the west.  In good condition though top of southern pillar is badly invaded by ivy and vegetation.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  An ornate gateway known as The Towers is formed of two hexagonal turrets, linked by an archway, with a carved stone lion on top of the arch and stone birds on top of each tower.The gateway forms the start of a terraced walk along the cliffs through Little Wood. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Countisbury (24 November 1988) 20.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet and slide, N Goodwin, 1989.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM340850 Report: Riley, H.. 2021. Archaeological survey at Glenthorne, Countisbury, Devon and Oare, Somerset, Exmoor National Park: The Combe SS 79947 49497 - The Towers SS 79425 49776. Hazel Riley. p7,11.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7941 4977 (3m by 9m) NHLE|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1549/4/25
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37715
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/611
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2021 1:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.