MDE21303 - Post-medieval gate piers, Glenthorne (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Pair of gate piers. Circa 1832. Uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar upper parts Pair of square piers flanking the drive to Glenthorne. Each pier has rough- chamfered offset at base, moulded string course and moulded cap with large carved boar's head finial.  Pair in good condition. The gatepier to the northeast has been invaded by ivy.  The gate peirs were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 5A.  A photograph of the gate piers taken in 1999 is held by the Historic England Archive. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Countisbury (24 November 1988) 21.
- <2> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Worksheet and slide, N Goodwin, 1989.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM340913 Photograph: Hesketh-Roberth, M.. 1999. Exterior View Of Gate Piers. Unknown. Negative.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7936 4935 (2m by 2m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1549/4/27
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37712
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/613/1
Record last edited
Mar 29 2022 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.