MDE21295 - 19th Century headstone in St Petrock's Churchyard (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Tamlyn headstone circa 10 metres southeast of southeast corner of south aisle of church of St. Petrocks. The headstone dates to 1847 and was designed by Watts. Constructed from slate, it is straight-headed with tulip decoration to the top corners and an angels bust to the centre. Inscription to John Tamlyn (died 1847).  The gravestone was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The "Watts" mentioned in the listing description may refer to the noteworthy maker of Victorian monuments George Frederick Watts, but this is by no means certain. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 73.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
|Grid reference||SS 67487 44933 (point) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 1544/6/125
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37657
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/12/8
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.