MDE21293 - 19th Century headstone in St Petrock's Churchyard (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Smyth headstone approximately 14 metres southwest of the west tower of the church of St. Petrocks. The headstone dates to 1846 and was designed by Watts. It is constructed from slate, is straight-headed and has urns flanking depiction of hand cutting down flower to head with inscription and verse to Elizabeth Smyth (died 1846).  The gravestone was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The "Watts" mentioned in the listing description may refer to the noteworthy maker of Victorian monuments George Frederick Watts, but this is by no means certain. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 74.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 12.
|Grid reference||SS 6745 4493 (point) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/127
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37655
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/12/10
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.