MDE21291 - 19th Century gravestone at St Petrock's Churchyard (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Headstone. Early C19 by Watts. Straight-headed with urns to top corners. Inscription and verse to John Whitefield R.N. (d.1821) and other members of family.  The gravestone was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 5A.  The "Watts" mentioned in the listing description may refer to the noteworthy maker of Victorian monuments George Frederick Watts, but this is by no means certain. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 74.
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 12.
|Grid reference||SS 6745 4492 (point) (NHLE)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 1544/6/129
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 37653
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/12/12
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:34AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.