MDE21250 - Post-medieval quarry on Smallacombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
'Old quarry' shown on 1906 6 inch Ordnance Survey map.  No sign of quarry on 1973 Ordnance Survey map.  Second quarry north of Smallcombe Quarry lying in valley.  Site of 'old quarry' shown on the 1880s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map as a large excavated area to the northwest of 'Smallacombe Quarry'  It is suggested that the quarry is a subsidiary quarry of Smallacombe Quarry to the south. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906.
- <2> SEM7730 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:10000, 1973. 1:10,000.
- <3> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A21, 4 June 1992.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 January 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8140 2943 (64m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33911
- Devon SMR: SS82NW/37
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 5:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.