MDE21184 - Prehistoric burial cairn northwest of Furzehill Common Stone Row (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At the northwestern end of the 66 metre long stone row on Furzehill Common (MDE8977) and centred at SS 7378 4401 is a turf covered circular mound, 5.7 metres in diameter and 0.4 m high. The stone row heads precisely for this mound and it is clear that the mound is part of the monument. It seems therefore to be a terminal cairn, making it the first example of a 'hybrid' row on Exmoor. Surveyed at 1:500 scale November 13th, 2001. [1,2] SS 7380 4398. Remains of a prehistoric stone alignment, known as Furzehill Common 3. The alignment comprises at least 10 standing stones, forming a row which runs in a slight curve from the northwest to the south east. There is a gap between the four stones at the south east end of the row and the other six known stones. Further stones may be hidden by peat in this gap. A circular cairn lies 7.5 metres beyond the last stone at the north west end of the row. This is believed to be a terminal cairn marking the end of the alignment. Scheduled.  This feature was not assessed during the 2009 or 2015 Scheduled Monument Condition Surveys. [4,5]
- <1> SEM3 Report: Blackmore, O.. 2002. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land.
- <2> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. Rob Wilson-North, 13 November 2001.
- <3> SSO410 Index: English Heritage. 1913-. Schedule of Monuments. EH Scheduling Amendment, 6 October 2003.
- <4> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7378 4400 (9m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66724
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/123/1
Record last edited
Jan 22 2018 11:41AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.