MDE21183 - Medieval strip field system around Heale (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Medieval strip field system around the settlement of 'Heale'. The 1839 Tithe survey  shows a cluster of farmsteads adjacent to a core of curving strip shaped fields held in an intermixed pattern by four owners. Enclosures beyond the core lie in blocks with some subdivided in ownership between the four holdings. 'Heale Down' to the east was open common until the late 19th Century.  The extent of the field system has been estimated against the 1839 Parracombe Tithe Map. [1,3] Many/most of the field boundaries shown on the Tithe Map are still depicted on 2020 MasterMap data. [1,4]
- <1>XY SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. [Mapped feature: #46747 ]
- <2> SDE72291 Unpublished document: Gillard, M.. 2001. The Farms and Fields of Medieval Exmoor.
- <3> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 20 October 2020.
- <4> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6482 4695 (904m by 1301m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 66687
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/166
Record last edited
May 10 2022 8:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.