MDE21181 - Post-medieval water meadow south of West Challacombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in fields to the southwest of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin. The system, centred at SS 5856 4747 consists of at least three gutters, covering an area measuring 177 metres wide by 303 metres long, or 2.5 hectares. A series of approximately parallel gutters were used to distribute flowing water evenly over the meadow in order to encourage early growth in spring and prevent freezing in winter. There is a small pond at West Challacombe Farm (MDE21846) and it is likely that the gutters were part of an integrated system and were fed with water and manure from here. An oblique photograph from February 2001 shows that the system was still in use until very recently. [1-4] Remains of several water catchment leats in the fields to the south of West Challacombe Farm which were probably supplied with water from the pond at the farm (MDE21846). 
- <1> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 5847/2 (21109/01) (9 February 2001).
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4422 (13 May 1946).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition.
- <4> SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165.
- <5> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon. P. 11 and National Trust SMR Number 100941.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 584 474 (241m by 229m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460111 (Pastscape entry: 1460111)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA162450 (National Trust HER entry: MNA162450)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA162451 (National Trust HER entry: MNA162451)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65817
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/192
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1619
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE93
- National Trust HER Record: MNA162450
- National Trust HER Record: MNA162451
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460111
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.