MDE21108 - Post-medieval quarry on Cosgate Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A quarry was visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. This site was still visible on the 2nd Edition, but was annotated as 'old quarry' . This was still visible on the 1962 mapping, but the site was not present on the 2014 MasterMap. [1-4] A large quarry, SS 7915 4895, was recorded adjacent to the southern edge of the A39 road, at about 330 metres above Ordnance Datum. The quarry stands 23.2 metres in length and 17.4 metres in width with a maximum depth of 18 metres. The quarry has its entrance on the north side and there is a mound of spoil at its centre standing 1 metre high.  This feature appears on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map of 1890 and is anotated 'Old Quarry', indicating it was out of use by this time.  This feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale using GPS equipment as part of an archaeological survey of the Cosgate Hill area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter Office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A report was compiled as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, Devon 3SE and 3NE.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2002.
- <6> SEM6890 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2002. Cosgate Hill, Countisbury, Devon.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7914 4894 (39m by 29m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31126
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/580
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1357300
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.