MDE21107 - Two post-medieval quarries on Cosgate Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two post-medieval quarries were visible on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps, annotated as 'old quarries' indicating that they had been abandoned by this time. These were still visible, but not annotated on the 1962 mapping. The site was not present on the 2014 MasterMap. [1-4] Two quarries lie adjacent to the A39 road 155 metres north of County Gate, at about 335 metres above Ordnance Datum. The smaller of the two, A (SS 7935 4883) is 10.3 metres long, 7.9 metres wide and 3 metres high with an entrance on its eastern side; there is a small mound of spoil at its centre 0.4 metres high. Southeast of this lies a much larger quarry, B (SS 7936 4881), which is 21.5 metres long, 3.1 metres wide and 4 metres high and is covered in brambles and gorse.  Both these features appear on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition map of 1890 and are anotated 'Old Quarries' , indicating they were out of use by this time.  These features were recorded at 1:2500 scale using GPS equipment as part of an archaeological survey of the Cosgate Hill area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A report was compiled as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1903, Devon 3SE and 3NE.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2002.
- <6> SEM6890 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2002. Cosgate Hill, Countisbury, Devon.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1357330, Extant 7 December 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7935 4881 (26m by 39m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31125
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/581
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE62
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1357330
Record last edited
Dec 7 2021 10:14AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.