MDE21082 - Voluntary School, Countisbury (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A school is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and on the 6 inch map of 1903. [1,2] Building shown but not marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1962.  The building may still be extant.  There is a structure visible in this location on the Countisbury Tithe map of c. 1841. Land parcel 121 is labelled as the School House and its garden is labelled 123. Both were owned and occupied by the Reverend Matthew Mundy.  Countisbury Voluntary School was established in 1835. In 1967, the school had 20 pupils and one teacher.  Countisbury School replaced the old school at Countisbury and was built because the original was too small. Children were taught by the Curate, WH Thornton in 1854. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments.
- <5> SEM8072 Map: <1841. Countisbury Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <6> SEM7966 Monograph: Sellman, R.R.. 1967. Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century. David and Charles Limited. 35, 155.
- <7> SEM7542 Monograph: Ramsay, D.. 2009. Unforgotten Exmoor: Volume 1. Rare Books and Berry. 1. 64, 65.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7473 4973 (17m by 10m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 31100
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/10
Record last edited
Feb 5 2018 11:38AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.