MDE21025 - Post-medieval outbuildings at Woolhanger (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A range of outbuildings are situated slightly away from Woolhanger Manor and comprise a substantial stone built stable block, including two loose boxes, two stalls with large tack room and two feed stores.  The farmstead was visited in December 1996. Next to a modern farmhouse was noted a nice yard of 19th Century rubble farm buildings mainly in use for horses.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth shows a farm building situated at SS 6983 4537, which still appears to be extant. To its west, the long stable block first appears on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, two other smaller outbuildings had constructed around the farmyard. These latter two buildings have since been demolished and have been replaced by larger, more modern buildings. [2-5]
- <1> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. Particulars of estate agents, 1986.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4>XY SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #42074 ]
- <5> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 82.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6982 4536 (52m by 73m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 30545
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/23/2
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 82
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.