MDE21023 - Natural stone on Higher Down (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
One of two stones located and surveyed on field document at SS 6699 4207 (Stone B). It is irregular in shape, standing to a height of 2 feet and being 3 feet wide.  Stones (OE) (Two).  Authority was probably R Hansford Worth.  SS 6697 4207. Irregular stone, 2 feet high. (NAT).  'Standing Stone' shown on 1963 Ordnance Survey map.  SS 6697 4206. Stone B. An earthfast recumbent stone, the exposed portion being 1.3 metres by 1.3 metres and 0.6 metres thick. There is no evidence to suggest it is of any archaeological interest. Surveyed at 1:2500.  The site was visited in 1989. An irregular natural boulder, c.0.6 metres high. Site recorded in 1905 (along with MDE20158) as a group of large recumbent stones, with smaller stones having been removed. Unlikely that this group had any archaeological significance.  Exposed portion 1.3 metres by 1.3 metres by 0.6 metres thick. 
- <1> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. 397, 545-6.
- <2> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Anon OS Revision 6 inch 1905.
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. S Willy, 22 August 1957.
- <4> SDE24 DHER migrated record: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey site visit notes. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. SS 6 inch, C. Atherton, Reviser, 4 December 1957.
- <5> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1972.
- <7> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 19.
- <8> SEM7800 Article in serial: Fowler, M. J. F.. 1993. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A provisional catalogue of 86 North Devon sites. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. 155-178. 125.
|Grid reference||SS 6697 4205 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34690 (Pastscape entry: 34690)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 30479
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/133
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1049
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE7
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34690
Record last edited
Jan 17 2017 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.