MDE20158 - Natural stone near Brockenbarrow Lane (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Smaller of two stones near Brockenburrow Lane, to north of field boundary. This is stone A at SS 6699 4195 and similar in character to MDE21023, being 2 feet 6 inches high and 4 feet 6 inches wide. Smaller stones removed in 1905.  Stones (OE) (Two).  Authority was probably R Hansford Worth.  A site visit by the Ordnance Survey in 1957 noted an irregular stone, 30 inches high.  "Standing Stone" marked on 1963 map.  Stone A at SS 6698 4194. An isolated boulder of local stone, 1.6 by 1.4 metres and 0.6 metres high. There is no evidence to suggest it is of any archaeological interest. Surveyed at 1:2500.  A site visit in 1989 noted an irregular natural boulder c.0.6 metres high.  Dimensions of 1.6 metres by 1.4 metres.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. 397, 545-6.
- <2> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Anon Ordnance Survey Revision 6 inch 1905.
- <3> SMO7328 Unpublished document: Willy, S. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1957.
- <4> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 6 inch, C. Atherton, Reviser, 4 December 1957.
- <5> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1972.
- <7> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 19.
- <8> SEM7800 Article in serial: Fowler, M. J. F.. 1993. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A provisional catalogue of 86 North Devon sites. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. 155-178. 164.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 34690, Extant 9 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6697 4193 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34690 (Pastscape entry: 34690)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2098
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/34
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1049
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE7
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 34690
Record last edited
Feb 7 2022 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.