MDE20158 - Natural stone near Brockenbarrow Lane (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Smaller of two stones near Brockenburrow Lane, to north of field boundary. This is stone A at SS 6699 4195 and similar in character to MDE21023, being 2 feet 6 inches high and 4 feet 6 inches wide. Smaller stones removed in 1905.  Stones (OE) (Two).  Authority was probably R Hansford Worth.  A site visit by the Ordnance Survey in 1957 noted an irregular stone, 30 inches high.  "Standing Stone" marked on 1963 map.  Stone A at SS 6698 4194. An isolated boulder of local stone, 1.6 by 1.4 metres and 0.6 metres high. There is no evidence to suggest it is of any archaeological interest. Surveyed at 1:2500.  A site visit in 1989 noted an irregular natural boulder c.0.6 metres high.  Dimensions of 1.6 metres by 1.4 metres. 
- <1> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. 397, 545-6.
- <2> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Anon Ordnance Survey Revision 6 inch 1905.
- <3> SMO7328 Unpublished document: Willy, S. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1957.
- <4> SDE24 DHER migrated record: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey site visit notes. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. SS 6 inch, C. Atherton, Reviser, 4 December 1957.
- <5> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 22 August 1972.
- <7> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 19.
- <8> SEM7800 Article in serial: Fowler, M. J. F.. 1993. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A provisional catalogue of 86 North Devon sites. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 125. 155-178. 164.
|Grid reference||SS 6697 4193 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34690 (Pastscape entry: 34690)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2098
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/34
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1049
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE7
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34690
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 8:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.