MDE20985 - Stockwater Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Stockwater farmhouse, stock road. Probably early c18 roadside farmhouse, 2 storey, 3 windows with shippen extension. Local stone. Fairly massive chimneys, but fireplaces filled in. Interior: plank doors with strap hinges on lugs.  The farmhouse was described as a possible 18th Century building, built of rubble and with a good farm building on the end of it.  The buildings were not assessed during the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13.  No buildings are shown in this position on the Tithe Map of 1840  but what appears to be the current farmhouse and attached barn is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map, suggesting that they were built at some time after 1840 in the 19th century. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (3 Sept 1973).
- <2> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 30.
- <3> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <4> SEM8109 Map: Vaughan, D. and Gibney, T.. 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Towns Tithe Map and Apportionment. 2 chains : 1 inch.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7159 4720 (28m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 858/1/2/49/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (Not visited): 858/1/2/49/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 24064
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/125
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (3): 30
Record last edited
Jul 21 2016 9:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.