MDE20954 - Lower Lodge, Lee Abbey (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Detached house. Probably c1875. Rubble, tile roof. A picturesque building in elaborate Cottage Ornee style, central entry to twin-gabled asymmetrical front. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Wood casements with mullions and decorative cast-iron lights. The upper floor has two 4-light under carved flat lintels with peaked heads, on slate cills. Ground floor has a 3-light, with a canted 1:4:1-light bay to the right beneath a pent roof on stone piers, covering also the central pair of plank doors with fleur-de-lys hinges, and side-light, under a straight moulded wood lintel. The gables have rich triple-cusped barge-boards, carried on elaborate carved corbels, returned also to the right gable, with plain walling generally but one small light at ground floor and a plain mid string. The left gable to the front is jettied slightly on a series of stone corbels. The roof tiles have scalloped ends, and there is a decorative clay ridge; to the left gable, which is plain, is a large stack, with a further ridge stack centrally. The rear is plain, with a small gabled unit, possibly containing the staircase. INTERIOR: not accessible. A richly detailed example of a Lee Abbey estate cottage, similar in style to Valley Lodge (qv), and Lee Cottage in Martinhoe CP.  The building was visited in December 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is labelled "Lower Edge" on the 2020 MasterMap data.  It is not hown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The building is shown on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map and is labelled "Lodge". A barrier is shown across the routeway to the buildings immediate north.  The building appears to have served as the gate lodge for Lee Abbey. 
- <1> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Lynton (5 July 1976).
- <2> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <3>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #38594 ]
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 October 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6948 4904 (14m by 11m) MasterMap|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 858/1/1/65
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 24033
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/74
Record last edited
Mar 1 2022 11:49AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.