MDE20783 - Possible World War Two remains on Great Black Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
One of two round mounds on Great Black Hill. Barrows? The feature appears well on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] Nothing was visible at the National Grid Reference cited. However, in the vicinity are slight mounds and other surface disturbance associated with World War Two military activity (see MSO7776). 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3042 (April 1947.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7845b. [Mapped feature: #46895 SS7845b]
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 25 November 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7896 4573 (22m by 23m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1002155 (Pastscape entry: 1002155)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18134
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/556
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11950
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NE48
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1002155
Record last edited
Mar 15 2021 11:51AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.