MDE20662 - Whitefield Bridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A ford is marked on the six inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is not shown on the six inch (1962) map.  Whitefield Bridge (possibly a footbridge as very narrow, although not indicated as such) to the north of a ford indicated on 25 inch 1st Edition  and 25 inch 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [3,4] This former bridge and ford appears to have been replaced by the current road bridge at some time in the early to mid 20th Century. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905, Devon 10SE.
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46696 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Shirley Blaylock, 23 January 2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7013 3575 (30m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57798
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/595
Record last edited
Sep 9 2020 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.