MDE20648 - Sunnyside Farm, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
"Tucking Mill" marked on historic mapping. [1,2] Sunnyside Lane is referred to as "Tucking Mill Lane" on the 6 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1890 and Sunnyside Farm as "Tucking Mill".  The farmer at Sunnyside has no knowledge of the existence of a mill there and there is no suggestion of a mill from the external appearance of the farm buildings. No detailed investigation of the fields around the farm was made.  The site is shown on the Tithe Map for Parracombe and is labelled "Tucking Mill". There were originally two further buildings to the western end of the site, at SS 6717 4464 and SS 6718 4466, with a small square structure at SS 6719 4467; these had all been removed by the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. All of the remaining building shown on the Tithe Map (SS 6723 4467, SS 6725 4465, SS 6721 4464 and SS 6717 4464) still appear to be extant in some form, although some may have been altered or replaced since then; the southeastern end of the farmhouse, for instance, appears to postdate the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map. A pond is also shown at SS 6724 4464. The buildings to the north of the site were constructed after aerial photographs were taken of the site in 1946-8. There are two land parcel references associated with the main area of buildings; the eastern part associated with reference 145 and the western around 154. Plot names and cultivation statuses for the whole site are as below, as described in the Tithe Apportionment. Yard/building areas: 145: "Courtlage", Waste (SS 6722 4466); 154: "Lower Court", Waste (SS 6719 4465); Small parcels around main core: 144: "Garden", Garden (SS 6726 4464); 146: "Garden", Garden (SS 6723 4467); 147: "Garden", Garden (SS 6720 4467); 155: "Garden", Garden (SS 6717 4465); 156: "Garden", Garden (SS 6715 4464); Larger fields around periphery: 148: "Pond Meadow", Pasture (SS 6721 4460, south of site); 152: (SS 6721 4478, east of Sunnyside/Tucking Mill Lane); 153: (SS 6713 4474, west of Sunnyside/Tucking Mill Lane). All of the land parcels were in the ownership of Thomas Palmer Acland, and occupied by William Smyth. [5-9] Tucking Mill. Known as "Tokynmyll" in 1543, when it was run by one John Thorne. Tucking is a term for the finishing process that cleans and felts woven cloth. There's a suggestion that a horse was once harnessed here to a capstan bar that turned a heavy roller to provide power. The mill was later owned by local MP Sir Thomas Acland and the site was eventually converted into two homes for labourers. It is now better known as Sunnyside Farm. 
- <1> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560. 6NE.
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890, 6NE.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <5> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 144-7, 152-6.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <10> SEM8569 Monograph: Constable, N.. 2004. Parracombe and the Heddon Valley: An unfinished history. Parracombe Archaeology and History Society.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6722 4466 (170m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909934 (Pastscape entry: 909934)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57020
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/181
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10867
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE41
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909934
Record last edited
Jan 27 2020 2:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.