MDE20627 - Post-medieval enclosure above Wild Pear Beach (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A sub rectangular banked enclosure is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s on the cliffs above Wild Pear Beach, Combe Martin. The enclosure, centred at SS 5822 4756, measures approximately 12 metres long by 10 metres wide. It is not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, but is located in an area of post medieval enclosure, and from its dimensions appears to be the remains of a post medieval stock enclosure, similar to that at Lanacombe, but less elaborate. [1-4] The site was initially identified from aerial photographs as a rectangular structure, possibly a building. However it would seem to be a natural knoll that has been partly quarried, leaving a sub rectangular quarry. It is 15 metres long by approximately 6 metres wide and is located just inside the bounday fence above Wild Pear Beach. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7440 Monograph: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 2001. The Field Archaeology of Exmoor. English Heritage.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3176 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165.
- <5> SEM6849 Report: Berry, N.. 2002. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of West Challacombe Farm, Combe Martin, Devon. National Trust SMR Number 100913.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5822 4756 (24m by 24m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460142 (Pastscape entry: 1460142)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA148445 (National Trust HER entry: MNA148445)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 65798
- Devon SMR: SS54NE/180
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1628
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE99
- National Trust HER Record: MNA148445
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460142
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.