MDE20570 - Post-medieval road on Rowley Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Robert Ballment's plan of Rowley Down dated 1797 shows a road running northeast to southwest across Rowley Down from SS 6622 4405 (Leys Lane) to S 6499 4289 (B3226). The road cuts across land attached to Little Rowley, the boundary to this land running just to the northwest (see MDE20571). Existing hedgeline follows this road route (which is no longer in use). Road is visible as earthwork for part of its course on 1947 aerial photograph. [2,3] The road is clearly depicted on the Parracombe Tithe Map.  The road appears to have passed out of use by the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, although parts of its route were preserved in features on the map. 
- <1> SEM7791 Map: Ballment, R.. 1797. Plan of Rowley Down.
- <2> SEM8337 Unpublished document: Timms, S.. 1983. Devon SMR Parish File: Rowley Down.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.3095 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6556 4342 (1175m by 1087m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910088 (Pastscape entry: 910088)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20017
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/117
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10893
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE59
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910088
Record last edited
Aug 30 2016 3:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.