MDE20549 - Undated oval enclosure northeast of Parracombe Lane Head (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low, broad, ploughed out bank showing partly as a soil mark and suggesting part of an oval enclosure was noted on aerial photographs. [1,2] This site falls on fairly steep west facing slopes now under regularly ploughed pasture fields. There is no trace of this alleged enclosure.  These feature appears from the aerial photographs  to possibly be a semi-natural.  The features on the aerial photograph transcription created by McDonnell (SEM7406) cross those recorded in MMO1806. It is not clear to what extent these features relate to each other. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4089 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6745B. [Mapped feature: #46768 SS6745B]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
- <4> SMO7527 Archive: 1999. RCHME: Parracombe Project, Devon. AF1301153. Helen Winton, 20 December 1999.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 October 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6748 4566 (140m by 201m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915497 (Pastscape entry: 915497)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17935
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/49
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE11220
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE56
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915497
Record last edited
Oct 27 2020 4:37PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.