MDE20528 - Possible medieval deserted farmstead north of Tattiscombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6305 4661. Low banks on aerial photographs suggesting building remains and enclosures. Possibly deserted farm site at tattiscombe. [1-3] Tattiscombe alias Tatscombe was Totescoma in Domesday. It was held by William de Lestre of the Count of Mortain. Before the Conquest it was held by Edric. Early descents are given.  The earthworks transcribed by McDonnell  may include features recorded by RCHME and the Exmoor National Mapping Project as a mine shaft and spoil heap (see MMO287). Further investigation is required to confirm if these are two separate features or if a misidentification has occurred. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1635.3184, 1655.3183 (July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM 2654 (June 1978).
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6346A.
- <4> SEM8105 Monograph: Reichel, O. J.. 1928-1938. Hundreds of Devon: The Hundred of Braunton in Early Times. 395, 446, 448, 458.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS6346 SF1460/222 (7 March 1979).
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 23 April 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6305 4661 (136m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17914
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/32
Record last edited
Mar 23 2021 9:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.