MDE20526 - World War Two impact craters on Holdstone Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two parallel, linear groups of six mounds. Possibly of World War Two military origin. Their visibility is fair on the 1946 aerial photograph. [1,2] A line of small craters are visible on aerial photographs at the northern extent of Holdstone Down close to the cliff edge. Centred at approximately SS 6216 4818, the craters are uniform in size, measuring between 2 and 2.5 metres in diameter, and are aligned approximately southeast to northwest. They are most likely to be impact craters, probably relating to Second World War military activity in this area (see MDE8963), particularly on Holdstone Down itself, where a number of mortar positions are known to have been situated. Similar craters are visible at Great Hangman Cairn (see MDE8285). [3,4]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6248b.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/106G/UK/1655.3182 (July 1946).
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF 106G/UK/1501.4375-76 (13 May 1946).
- <4> SMO7554 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 64 NW. MD002171.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6218 4819 (73m by 66m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1461498 (Original Monarch entry: 1461498)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA107765 (National Trust HER entry: MNA107765)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17912
- Devon SMR: SS64NW/30
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1767
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NW77
- National Trust HER Record: MNA107765
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1461498
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.