MDE20441 - Disputed late prehistoric hut circles east of Shoulsbarrow Castle (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
To the east of Shoulsbarrow Castle are two possible hut circles. [1-3] At least one circular feature visible here on Ordnance Survey aerial photographs.  The features were not found during field survey in 2017. It was suggested to be a misinterpretation of vegetation marks on the photographs.  The site was visited in May 2019 and the area was thoroughly walked over in good light and low vegetation. No sign of the feature was visible. The area was described as "mirey rough-grazing with no sign of improvement (and a fair bit of peat cover)" so it is unlikely the feature could have been destroyed since the photograph was taken. The feature is suggested to be a misidentification of differences in vegetation. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 4143 (April 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/14/053 (May 1977).
- <3>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7039A. [Mapped feature: #46079 ]
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS 73/163/008-9, DCC North Area Office.
- <5> SEM8543 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Wallover Down, South Regis Common, Castle Common and Fullaford Down. Hazel Riley. p 5, 20.
- <6> SEM8652 Unpublished document: Gillard, M.. 2019. MDE20582 and MDE20441.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7075 3906 (29m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||HIGH BRAY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17827
- Devon SMR: SS73NW/551
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 2:35PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.