MDE20343 - Natural stoneheap on Thorn Hill (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
SS 7263 4377. Thorn Hill. A stoneheap, 14 feet in diameter and 1 foot high. Perhaps the remains of a larger cairn.  Shown as a hut circle on the six inch 1962. Ordnance Survey map.  SS 7263 4377. Hut circle shown and annotated on 1891 six inch Ordnance Survey map.  SS 7263 4377. There is no trace of any hut circle at this grid reference, nor can a cairn be found.  SS 7263 4377. On a small, heather, bracken and rough grass covered spur, about 100 metres south of and between the confluence of the West Lyn River and a minor stream, is a small irregular natural rocky/stoney outcrop. This falls on the exact reference as depicted by the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map  and has obviously been erroneously interpreted by them as a hut circle or by Grinsell  as the remains of a possible cairn. It is neither a hut circle nor the remains of a cairn, it is a natural feature. No Survey Action. (Note: On the 1891 1:10560  about 30 metres south of the above feature is depicted an unannotated stony symbol. This is also a natural outcrop).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. [6,7]
- <1>XY SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 195. [Mapped feature: #47056 ]
- <2> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <4> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 17 September 1974.
- <5> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 June 1995.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35403, Extant 11 January 2022.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35496, Extant 11 January 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7263 4377 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12269
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/59
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1297
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1328
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW27
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW60
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35403
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35496
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 5:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.