MDE20139 - Christ Church, Parracombe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Christ Church, Parish Church. Consecrated 19 October 1878 after it had been decided that the original building (MDE7975) was beyond repair. Font dated 1170 brought from St. Petrock.  Parish church. Built on new site 1878 by W. Oliver, leaving the former parish church, St. Petrocks unrestored, on its old site away from the village. Snecked stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and apex crosses to the gable ends. West tower, nave chancel, north aisle and south porch. West tower of 3 stages.  Christ church, plate: 1) chalice dated 1661 with london mark. 2) silver chalice cover dated 1666. Cup missing. Bears mark of John Peard, silversmith of Barnstaple who died in 1680. 3) paten, dated 1719 with Exeter halmarks and mark of John Mortimer, goldsmith of Exeter.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Adjoining the village, but also like St. Petroc’s in an open position, is the Parish Church built in 1878 to the designs of WC Oliver of Barnstaple. It is built in Perpendicular style with a three stage west tower, of snecked stone rubble with ashlar dressings. The slate roof has crested ridge tiles. Pevsner praises the stained glass of W.F. Dixon which he describes as a “distinctively mannered pre-Raphaelite style” and is quite widespread in Devon. Other examples of his work are at Barnstaple, Shobrooke, Dawlish and Challacombe. 
- <1> SDE65798 Monograph: Cresswell, B. F.. 1924. Notes on Devon Churches. P. 203.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Parracombe (9 April 1987) 77.
- <3> SDE65910 Article in serial: Chanter, J. F.. 1900/1901. Church Plate. Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries. P. 191.
- <4> SDE22675 Article in serial: Jackson, E.. 1928. Proceedings at the Annual Meeting. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 60. P. 29-30.
- <5> SEM7171 Aerial photograph: Griffith, F.. 1980s-1990s. Oblique aerial photographs of the Devon part of Exmoor National Park. HX 2, 30 January 1987; LC 12 and 13, 10 January 1989.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <7> SEM6948 Report: Fisher, J.. 2004. Parracombe: Conservation Area Character Appraisal.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6692 4485 (28m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5287 (CHER ID: 615483)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1544/6/133
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615483
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2079
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2080
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/14
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20140
Record last edited
Dec 10 2019 9:24AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.