MDE20094 - Bronze Age stone axe hammer from Leeball Field (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 686 396. Perforated stone axe hammer ploughed up circa 1944-5 in field called 'Leeball Field,' Buscombe Farm, Challacombe on western edge of Exmoor. Identified by the City Museum, Bristol, and studied by the stone axe subcommittee (no.1051). Microscopically a greenish-grey greenstone weathering rough; microscopically consisting of felspar, chlorite augite and magnetite with colourless horn blende. Most likely from Cornwall. Date probably within the early and middle Bronze Age, roughly between 1600 and 1200 BC. It has a hole for insertion of the handle. It remains in possession of the finder, a Mr HP Dallyn. [1-3] Greenstone axe hammer. No 1051.  N.B. The exact findspot for the axe hammer is not known and may lie outside the National Park boundary. It was recorded on the Devon HER as SS 686 397; the site has been moved on the Exmoor NP HER GIS to ensure it is presently shown within the NP boundary but still within the Lee Ball area. [5,6]
- <1> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 90 (1958), 24th Report on archaeology and early history, p216, figure 33 (Fox, A).
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Oral information from LV Grinsell, City Museum, Bristol..
- <3> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 31, 196.
- <4> SMO5124 Serial: The Prehistoric Society. 1935 -. Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Volume 38 (1972), The identification of stone implements, 235,262 (Evens, ED, Smith, IF, Wallis, FS).
- <5> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. 1972.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 21 January 2018.
|Grid reference||SS 686 398 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34550 (Pastscape entry: 34550)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 1972
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE995
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE21
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34550
Record last edited
Jan 21 2019 4:09PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.