MDE14809 - Post-medieval water meadow north and east of Higher House Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A complex of earthworks representing catchwater leats, a pond and a sluice. The leat measures 1.6 metres across and is embanked by 0.9 metres.  A post medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks north of Higher House Farm, Twitchen. Centred at approximately SS 7894 3065, at least five leats are visible, following the contours of the south facing slope. In addition to the leats, a sluice and pond are also visible. This system does not appear to be connected to any local farmyards, suggesting that this was a detached system which only distributed water to the fields and not liquid manure or other fertilisers. [2,3]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 January 1995.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/73082 486-87 (24 September 1970).
- <3> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition. 1-7, 28-9.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7911 3052 (373m by 286m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097040 (Original Monarch entry: 1097040)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60636
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/577
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE26
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1097040
Record last edited
Sep 27 2013 4:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.