MDE14808 - Post-medieval wheel pit at Higher House Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site of a wheel-pit, now filled in. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The pit may have been fed by the pond and leats discussed in MDE14809, previously believed to be part of the catchwork system around the site and shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [4,5]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Farmer at Higher House, Twitchen.
- <2>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 January 1995. [Mapped feature: #29684 ]
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1097038, Extant 6 October 2021.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 6 October 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7899 3050 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1097038 (Pastscape entry: 1097038)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60635
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/55/1
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE25
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1097038
Record last edited
Oct 6 2021 1:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.