MDE1316 - Natural mound southwest of stone setting (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 7075 4251) A tumulus 14 feet east to west by 8 feet located by the North Devon Archaeological Society. [1,2] There is no identifiable tumulus in the area indicated; numerous small peat mounds in this area are probably natural.  SS 7075 4251. The reference falls in an area of rough grassland on a gentle south facing slope a few metres south of a stone setting (MDE1317). There are several natural 'humps' in the area but no trace of this alleged tumulus. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Mrs JE Thorpe, Bratton Fleming.
- <2> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 17 July 1973.
- <3> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1 October 1974.
- <6>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995. [Mapped feature: #44196 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7075 4251 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35460 (Original Monarch entry: 35460)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/27
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12235
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20288
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW46
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35460
Record last edited
Feb 24 2021 4:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.