MDE1295 - Possible post-medieval peat cuttings or modern structure west of Warcombe Water (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
SS 7296 4396. Two hut circles shown and annotated  Hut circles between Warcombe Water and Ruckham Combe.  Marked as hut circle on six inch 1962 Ordnance Survey map.  SS 7296 4396. Listed under 'Supposed Hut Circles'. Thorn Hill (Lynton). Patch of heather 10 yards (9.13 metres) in diameter only.  SS 7296 4396. No trace of a hut circle in this area of open moorland littered with small mounds probably the result of peat digging.  SS 72961 43970. The remains of a subrectangular structure situated, about 345 metres above Ordnance Datum, on gentle north facing heather slopes between Ruckham and Warcombe. It measures 5.4 metres northeast to southwest by 3 metres within a low heather and bracken covered stone wall about 1.2 metres wide and 0.3 metres high at best. The northwestern wall is so reduced as to be barely discernible. No entrance is evident.The better preserved part of this structure does initially give the impression of a hut circle and may have been mistaken for one by the Ordnance Survey surveyors in 1887 . Its rectangular shape suggests however that it may be the footings of a more modern structure of unknown purpose and period. No trace was found of the other 'hut circle' depicted on the 1891 map at SS 73000 43980 . Surveyed at 1:2500. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891 (Surveyed 1887-88), Devon 7SW.
- <2> SMO4103 Monograph: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria History of the County of Devon. Archibald Constable and Company, Limited (London). 1. p629.
- <3> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <4> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 195.
- <5> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey Field Investigation, 17 September 1974.
- <6>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 June 1995. [Mapped features: #47066 Possible structure, ; #47067 Unlocated "hut circle", ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7298 4397 (39m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35397 (Pastscape entry: 35397)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/49
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12257
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20331
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW25
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35397
Record last edited
Apr 21 2021 12:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.