MDE12836 - Bronze Age barrow north of Weirs Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7039 4012 A small round mound, thought to be a possible barrow, was seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] The reference falls on a gentle north facing slope north of Weirs Combe in enclosed ground which has been ploughed, reseeded and is now pasture. There is no trace of a round mound here. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980/3146 April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7040b.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7038 4012 (24m by 22m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043842 (Pastscape entry: 1043842)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/72
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18156
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20796
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW108
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043842
Record last edited
May 19 2020 1:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.