MDE12836 - Bronze Age barrow north of Weirs Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7039 4012 A small round mound, thought to be a possible barrow, was seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] The reference falls on a gentle north facing slope north of Weirs Combe in enclosed ground which has been ploughed, reseeded and is now pasture. There is no trace of a round mound here.  The feature was not located during field survey in 2017. It was suggested the feature may have been destroyed by agricultural improvement.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980/3146 (April 1947)).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7040b.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <4> SEM8543 Report: Riley, H.. 2018. Archaeological walkover survey: Wallover Down, South Regis Common, Castle Common and Fullaford Down. Hazel Riley. p 5, 20.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1043842, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7038 4012 (24m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043842 (Pastscape entry: 1043842)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/72
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18156
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20796
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW108
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1043842
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 9:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.