MDE12835 - Bronze Age barrow north of Weirs Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7048 4007 A small round mound, thought to be a possible barrow, was seen by McDonnell on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] The reference falls on a gentle north facing slope north of Weirs Combe in enclosed ground which has been ploughed, reseeded and is now pasture. There is no trace of a round mound here.  A small circular mound is visible on aerial photographs situated in a prominent position above Weir Combe, Challacombe. Centred at approximately SS 7045 4005 on a steep east-facing slope above the Combe, the mound measures approximately 7 metres across. Its precise date and function are uncertain; however, its form and location suggest it may be a Bronze Age cairn or funerary monument. The Devon County HER recorded this monument as a possible barrow, one of two in the area; however, only one is visible on aerial photographs. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7040b.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980/3146 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 May 1995.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/2082 4103-04 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SMO7565 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SW. MD002182.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7045 4005 (11m by 11m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1043833 (Pastscape entry: 1043833)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1470893 (Pastscape entry: 1470893)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/71
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18155
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20795
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO2182
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW107
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW213
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1043833
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1470893
Record last edited
Dec 21 2016 2:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.