MDE1276 - Bronze Age burial cairn north of Hoccombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 777 446 Round barrow on south side of Brendon Common.  A scheduled cairn. The cairn is a turf covered stony mound, 6.2 metres in diameter and 0.6 metres high. It appears intact apart from an animal scrape, measuring 1.4 metres by 0.7 metres, on the eastern side which has exposed the stony core.The site lies under very thick heather, bilberry and some bracken. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The cairn described above is visible on aerial photographs, somewhat obscured by vegetation. [3,4] The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 3.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 3.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7743 Report: Depart of Environment. 1971. Ancient Monuments of England.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 May 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 4073-74 (8 November 1952).
- <4> SMO7566 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 SE. MD002183.
- <5> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <6> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35300, 19 May 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 774 446 (7m by 7m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35300 (Pastscape entry: 35300)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS 74 SE 7
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 636
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20001
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO89
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE33
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35300
Record last edited
Jul 7 2021 12:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.