MDE1254 - Late prehistoric flint knife found at Furzehill (Find Spot)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 730450. A very fine polished discoidal flint knife was found at Furzehill by John Richards, a labourer, of Parracombe. The knife measures 4 inches by 3 1/2 inches and has a ground edge of black flint. Discoidal knives may be of either Late Neolithic or Beaker culture and can probably be placed within the period 2000 and 1500 BC. The present whereabouts of the find are not known. [1,2] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited. 25, 188. [Mapped feature: #47752 ]
- <2> SEM6795 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F.. 1906. The Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 38. 114-224. 120, illustration.
- <3> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35194, Extant 13 December 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 730 450 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35194 (Original Monarch entry: 35194)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12265
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 13964
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/38
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/55/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20339
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20380
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35194
Record last edited
Dec 13 2021 9:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.